Friday, December 21, 2007

Winter Solstice -- on our way to Healing

Tonight, December 21st, is Winter Solstice --- which many know as the longest night of the year. I think of past years in my life, where many nights DID seem like "the longest," but not in a happy way.

This year is different.

The night is cold and dark here in Sedona, where I am preparing for an early morning trip to the Hopi reservation for a special Christmas project inspired by the Crossing Worlds Foundation. http://www.crossingworlds.org/ Somehow I have become part of this group headed by Sandra Cosentino, which collects and delivers supplies, food, and Christmas gifts to Hopi people living on the reservation.

These people have been kind to me by offering their hospitality and healing ways during a vision quest last year. They have also allowed me to experience some of their ceremonies and dances, which they have been doing for thousands of years. With help from the Katsinas, they do this to keep the world in balance. What they do benefits everyone, including non-Hopi.

So, I offer my thanks by helping with Crossing Worlds, and am excited to think of the journey that will come. Boxes of oranges, apples, yams, carrots, eggs, cheese . . . and great toys for the kids who will sing carols with us. My SUV is filled to the gills, but my heart is even fuller. :-)


No comments: